ICSW Europe Application for Support
ICSW Europe supports specific activities organized by a national committee. These activities are focused on a specific theme related to the Work Program of ICSW Europe 2013-2016 updated in the GA Helsinki June 2015 and aim to deepen knowledge and create ideas on how to work for changes. The activities can include participants and experts from several European countries.
The activity has a clear expected result, usually providing outputs in the form of a written report with conclusions and recommendations, a public statement and/or a position paper for ICSW Europe.
Meeting Invitation: Human Rights, Citizenship & Social Protection - December 9th, 2015
Europa and Denmark is changing. International Council on Social Welfare Denmark will put a critical focus on the European view of humanity and human rights – and hereby invite you to the conference.
ICSW Europe International Workshop “Social Protection Floors – Regional and International Experiences”
Participants of the ICSW Europe international workshop in Tbilisi, Georgia, 30 October 2015, shared the Social Platform position on social situation in Europe. (Read more)
Workshop Presentations & Documents
- Introduction: Miloslav Hettes, ICSW Europe President
- Social work & the changing welfare system in Kazakhstan, Sofia An
- The Role of the Third Sector in the Structure of Social Protection in Armenia, Gohar Barseghyan
- Social Protection Floors in Europe and Region, Angele Cepenaite
- Social Protection Floors as an Investment in Central and Eastern Europe, Milsoslav Hettes
- Social Protection System and role of social workers in Azerbaijan, Gunay Ismayilova
- Social Work and Social Protection of Population in Russia, Ludmila Kononova
- The challenge of effective social protection in absence of strong social work: A plan for action, Vadim Moldovan
- Social Protection Floors and Demographic Ageing: Regional Trends and Considerations, Roza Rayapova
- Long-term care for older persons as part of Social Protection Floors: An ILO perspective, Xenia Scheil-Adlung
- Social Protection situation in Georgia, Nino Shatberashvili
ISCW Expert Meeting, Basel Switzerland, November 9-10, 2015
Social benefit – development, challenges, consequences
A Comparative Perspective: Austria, Germany and Switzerland
- REPORT: Social benefit – developments, challenges, and consequences. A comparative perspective: Austria, Germany and Switzerland (PDF)
- BERICHT: Grundsicherung in der Sozialhilfe – Entwicklungen, Heraus-forderungen, Auswirkungen Österreich, Deutschland und Schweiz im Vergleich (PDF)
- Herzlich Willkommen - ICSW ExpertInnen-Meeting (PPT)
For more information, click here for the programme guide
European seminar “Migrants and social protection floors”
The ICSW European Seminar "Migrants and Social Protection Floors. Facilities and obstacles to access to different welfare state services in time of crisis" took place on April 23, 2015, at the Universidad Pontificia Comillas in Madrid, Spain. It was jointly organized by the University Institute of Migration Studies (IUEM) of the above university, the CEBS (Spanish Committee for Social Welfare - ICSW Spain) and the European Committee for Social Welfare (ICSW Europe), which provided the financial support.
For more about the seminar, read the June ICSW Global Newsletter
ENSACT missions statement
The members of the European Network for Social Action (ENSACT) have worked together since 2007 to promote the human rights based approach of social work, social work education and social policies, in line with the objectives of the global social agenda but with a view to producing practical solutions at the local and regional level. Read the full statement below.
- ENSACT missions statement 2014 (84 KB)
General Assembly 2012
General Assembly 2012 was held in Istanbul in connection with the ENSACT conference. Before General Assembly ICSW Europe had a capacity building seminar where the national members were giving voice to what they find as the most important activities. The General Assembly was deciding on how to go on with the work. As priorities, the meeting pointed at social protection all over Europe as the uniting headline. It includes activities to protect human and social rights and to strengthen the situation for elderly, poverty reduction, drop-outs from schools and social investments and social business.
Expert seminars 2013
During 2013, we have got reports and recommendations from seminars in the Nordic countries about working poor and drop-outs from school. An expert seminar was held in Bregenz, Germany, in November 2013 on Guardianship law in Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
- Recommendations on Working Poor, Seminar 26 - 27 October 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark (156 KB)
- Long term effects of dropout from school, Seminar 14 - 15 December 2012, Malmö, Sweden (832 KB)
- Position paper on Drop-out from Schools of Secondary Education in the Nordic Countries, September 2013, (52 KB)
- Guardianship law in context of UN Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities, November 2013, (644 KB)
Expert meetings - 2012
During 2012 there will be two expert meetings. Both are dealing with poverty. One is in Norway focusing Drop-outs from School. The other will be organized by the Danish national ICSW and the board of ICSW Europe with the theme Working Poor. Procedures for making expert seminars during 2013 will be decided on the General Assembly of ICSW Europe 7 July 2012.
Overview expert seminars 2011
During 2011 one expert seminar took place in Vienna, Austria 21-22 November on "The Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities. State of Implementation". Participants were experts from Austria, Germany and Switzerland. The report from the expert meeting is available in English and German.
- UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability (236 KB)
- UN Konvention über die Rechte von Menschen mit Behinderungen (300 KB)
European ENSACT Conference - April 2011
ICSW Europe and ENSACT organized a conference with the theme: "Social Action in Europe: Sustainable social Development and Economic Challenges". Speeches from keynote-speakers and information can be found at www.ensact.eu.
Next ENSACT-conference will take place in Istanbul, Turkey 2013. Information and call for papers will be distributed in late autumn.
General Assembly ICSW Europe - April 2011
The General Assembly of ICSW Europe took place in Brussels 10 April 2011. ICSW Europe decided to continue its general work on equal opportunities focusing working poor, child poverty and elderly. The world conference in Stockholm in July 2012 was presented and ICSW members were invited to take part in the preparations with ideas on themes and workshops. Next General Assembly will be in Stockholm in July in connection to the world conference Social Work Social Development: Action and Impact.
Overview Expert Meetings 2010
Three international ICSW expert meetings took place in 2010, organized by national ICSW members and with experts from other countries. These were:
3 & 4 May 2010, Berlin, Germany - "Is care caught in a financial trap? Future models from a German, Austrian and Swiss point of view in comparison". German, Austrian and Swiss members of ICSW Europe organised an expert meeting in Berlin in May 2010 on future models for financing care. The report of this expert meeting is available in English and in German.
- Is Care in a Financing Trap? A comparison of future models from the German, Austrian and Swiss perspective (600 KB)
- German version Die Pflege in der Finanzierungsfalle? Zukunftsmodelle aus deutscher, österreichischer und schweizerischer Sicht im Vergleich (592 KB)
30 September & 1 October 2010, Switzerland - "Comparing Policies Against Poverty: Germany, Austria and Switzerland" (working language German). The report of this expert meeting is available in English and in German.
21 & 22 October 2010, Vilnius, Lithuania - "Social Economy and Poverty Reduction" (working language English) The report of this expert meeting is available in English.
Expert meeting - November 2009
The Swedish ICSW Committee hosted an expert meeting on Child Poverty in the Nordic countries on 20 & 21 November 2009. The report from the expert meeting can be found below.
The German ICSW member Deutscher Verein has developed a position paper commenting on the European Commission's Communication with regard to the Social Services of General Interest. This position paper can be found here - in German and in English.
In December 2007 ICSW Europe and the ICSW national committee in Spain together organised a seminar on Social Investment, with contributions from a wide range of experts from all over Europe. Their presentations can be found here.
The 2007 Regional conference on Equal Opportunities for Individuals, Groups and Nations took place in Vilnius, Lithuania. For the texts of the plenary presentations click here.
ICSW Europe response to the "Questionnaire EU Year 2010" of Combating Poverty and Social Exclusion.
- Questionaire EU Year 2010 (81 KB)
- European Newsletter Winter 2016 (1.6 MB)
- European Newsletter Summer 2016 (1.1 MB)
- European Newsletter Spring 2016 (1.1 MB)
- European Newsletter Winter 2015 (1.3 MB)
- European Newsletter Autumn 2015 (770 KB)
- European Newsletter Summer 2015 (965 KB)
- European Newsletter Spring 2015 (941 KB)
- European Newsletter Winter 2014 (933 KB)
- European Newsletter Autumn 2014 (657 KB)
- European Newsletter January - March 2013 (208 KB)
- European Newsletter November & December 2012 (304 KB)
- European Newsletter September & October 2012 (128 KB)
- European Newsletter July & August 2012 (328 KB)
- European Newsletter May & June 2012 (3 MB)
- European Newsletter March & April 2012 (372 KB)
- European Newsletter January & February 2012 (168 KB)
- European Newsletter November & December 2011 (268 KB)
- European Newsletter September & October 2011 (180 KB)
- European Newsletter July & August 2011 (220 KB)
- European Newsletter May & June 2011 (4 MB)
- European Newsletter March & April 2011 (124 KB)
- European Newsletter January & February 2011 (156 KB)
- European Newsletter November & December 2010 (214 KB)
- European Newsletter September & October 2010 (172 KB)
- European Newsletter July & August 2010 (360 KB)
- European Newsletter May & June 2010 (488 KB)
- European Newsletter March & April 2010 (188 KB)
- European Newsletter January & February 2010 (308 KB)
- European Newsletter December 2009 (128 KB)
- European Newsletter November 2009 (147 KB)
- European Newsletter October 2009 (120 KB)
- European Newsletter September 2009 (124 KB)
- European Newsletter July 2009 (137 KB)
- European Newsletter June 2009 (117 KB)
- European Newsletter May 2009 (129 KB)
- European Newsletter March 2009 (82 KB)
- European Newsletter February 2009 (108 KB)
- European Newsletter January 2009 (98 KB)
Previous European Newsletters
Policy and other publications
The German ICSW National Committee analysed the German EU Presidency in the field of social policies and produced a position paper in which recommendations are made to the European Commission and future Presidencies. Download the full text of the position paper here.